11.04.2001

On a personal note...

I've learned a lot over the past ten days being slightly handicapped (11 stitches in my knee from a bike accident means I can't bend the bugger). I hope I never look at a handicapped person quite the same way again... but I do hope I walk the same way I used to again! I feel the need to play football and ride my bike again... for those of you who don't know me well, my bike is the closest thing I have to a wife. I've lost a lot of energy and gained a little weight from sitting around all the time. I can't run, I can't bike. Even when I walk the dog it's slow and uncomfortable. Never mind football or ultimate! So I'm spending another day on my posterior, feeling that I'm half the man I used to be. The good news is I get the stitches out on Wednesday at 3:00. The bad news is I have no idea how flexible my knee is going to be even after that. I've gotten used to this level of mediocrity in life. Little exercise, no adrenaline. Lethargy. I guess I should be able to take something from this as well in the way of lessons... I suppose my physical life now just reflects how my spiritual life often is. I never knew you could forget how to walk straight - but I already have to some extent. I guess that's what they mean when they say an 'iniquity' denotes a bent towards evil. I suppose the causes and symptoms are quite parallel: lack of activity and introvertion lead to stagnation and lethargy. Staying in the box, on my butt, not taking risks. Focusing on problems & not giving them over to God. I guess you could say the inability to bend your knees is even more of a spiritual problem than a physical one, but that would be a little trite... -Salim