7.08.2002

Marid

Marid is an Arabic word meaning "sick". It is a descriptive adjective. Very descriptive.

So yeah, I've met up with both "Ed" and "Ralph", and though they've been quiet since about noon, I'm as weak as a leaf right now and surprised that I could move myself all the way to the computer room. I'm not sure where the bug is from; the doctor says that an intestinal flu has been making the rounds, while my friends cite Saturday's trip into the mountains, saying a number of people got sick there.

Saturday night I caught up on sleep, though I was interrupted at one a.m. and again at nine thirty and noon by phone calls. The first one the RA botched, so I didn't get it; the second one went dead just as I picked it up! I suspected that my family was trying to reach me from Europe - and I'd really like to talk to them, seeing as I haven't heard a peep since I got here. The last call I connected, and it was my roommate's mother. Oh well. However, if my family is out there somewhere, I'd love to know whether or not y'all are alive...

Sunday afternoon I walked across Beirut and back for three hours starting at 2:30. That was, however, seriously too early; it's a hot and humid city, and I was beat and a little sick. Now I'm a lot sick. Well, I've pretty much run out of energy, so talk to ya later.