8.04.2002

Let's Be Friends

I kid thee not when I say that I'm just as happy now as I was before it happened. She laid awake for a whole night, but I guess that's the price you have to pay when you want to break off a relationship abruptly. I was surprised, don't get me wrong. But once I understood what she meant, I was fine with it. Curious as to why - a sentiment she understood and tried to satisfy - but really, truly fine with it.

Of course, I don't want to deprive you all of the God-given right to make fun of your friend when he gets dumped, so have at thee. But really, I was fine with it, I have no regrets, and that's the way I was hoping it would end up. We are still friends, though it was a little odd today when we were in the back seat of Genie's SUV for hours of driving and saying much, much less than we would have a week ago.

So why did she do it? I'll tell you: I don't know. Her English wasn't quite up to the task of explaining; or perhaps she didn't really want me to know; I dunno. It had to do with her freedom, and I got the feeling that it was ultimately because she didn't enjoy being "together", and dearly missed her singleness. I was surprised, because with two weeks left to go, I'd have expected her to wait it out even if she wasn't having the time of her life. But I'm just as happy to be single - honestly, having one less thing to worry about is a relief, because I've got a lot on my plate the next two weeks.

On one point I'm still undecided: the theme song. Is it "Summer Lovin'", or "50 Ways To Leave Your Lover"?