11.04.2002

Shakespearean Comedy

Which of Shakespeare's comedies do you best love? Seriously; drop a comment. I'm partial to Twelfth Night, and A Midsummer's Night Dream would be better if it weren't performed so ubiquitously. Anyway, try this bit of, ahem, Shakespeare on for size:

Scene the first. Enter Elizabeth, Evangelina, and Barnabe
Barnabe: Soothly say I, again shall I be
A soccer player for Hallows' Eve
Elsewards what shall I then off
With this my new Ronaldo coiffe?

Evangelina: I care not what thou dost
Keep but thine hands out of my candy trove!

Elizabeth: Hush children, thou-all knoweth well
Thy candy shall egally divided be
Must every year I that ye tell?
And dearest little Barnabe
We go again to trick and treat
To East Milton, upon our feet
Thou wast once a soccer play'
And fore that go we to Fenway
A soccer stadium it is not
To be Garciaparra thou ought

Barnabe: Go we to Fenway!?
Than Nomar shall I play
But I must in Brookline
My soccer hairdo ply
And in Milton may I wend
As soccer player once again?

Elizabeth: That may not, and I have said
But thou may if thou must
Show off to all Brookline thy head
And have thy fun, I trust
In Fenway shalt thou ape Nomar
In Milton must thou costume find
Not an athlete-type by far
Couldst thou be a Frenchman

Barnabe: Nay, I love not wine

Evangelina: A robber baron's henchman

Barnabe: OK, alright, fine

Elizabeth: But have we such a getup?

Evangelina: Of that I thought not once...

Elizabeth: His costume must be setup
To cover his Ronaldo bonce
So have you then a suit?
With which there comes a hat

Evangelina: We have a few old boots
And pantaloons, at that
My brother thus could act
A boy of Shakespeare's time!

Elizabeth: A timely idea, in fact
For of time we have nought - off we!

Exeunt

Scene the second. Enter Barnabe and Elizabeth

Barnabe: Ronaldo was a gas
And Nomar went by fast
Now must I don these boots
And hideous pantaloons?
This shirt is far too small
The hat's feather is too tall...

Elizabeth: If thou wouldst trick or treat
Hush thy mouth and move thy feet

Barnabe: Well, if as a character I must go
Of Shakespeare's time, I'd like to know
What character do I play?
Narry a one know I, soothsay

Elizabeth: Narry a one??

Barnabe: Save Juliet
And Romeo, the rest I forget
So thus I shall be Romeo or Juliet
Whichever of them was a boy.

The above rendition of the discourses of Halloween at the Furth family was rendered by Instant Replay's own Willy Shakespeare XIVth, a direct descendent of "the" William Shakespeare. The events desribed above are true.