12.02.2002

Instant Review: Schindler's List

I saw this classic film for the first time tonight. It was all I had been told to expect: jarring, chilling, and remarkably well made (which goes for any Spielberg film). Another Spielberg in the same vein which I saw recently was "Amistad"... one of my faves.

Schindler's List has a lot of upside, including the superb acting, gut-wrenching realism, and genuine sorrow all around the film. The downsides I'd list would be gratuitous nudity: it's relevant that Schindler's partier/womanizer side be portrayed, but there's just too many scenes that show too much.

As a Christian, the most poignant part of the film is the ending. Spielberg shines by not allowing the end of the film to get caught up in the joy of Allied victory. Instead, the protagonist breaks down in open weeping - after 6 years of war waged with suave panache - thinking of all the other people he could have saved. He looks at his car, and sees 10 Jews who could have been saved. Likewise his parties and affluent life: instead of self-congratulation, we see contrition and sorrow. As Christians, we serve a role not altogether different from Schindler's. We have been entrusted with our generation of fellow men and women, who will suffer a fate worse than genocide without the saving knowledge of Jesus Christ which we hold. I didn't cry during the movie, but I'm almost brought to tears thinking of how many lives my self-serving (most of the time) lifestyle has cost. It's sickening... but will another prophecy change the momentum of my life and the American church in general? I hope so, but past performance tends to be a pretty good indicator of future results.

God I need Your Spirit!