3.22.2003

Salted Nuts

I agree with the Washington Post's Howard Kurtz on the nature of the reporting of Operation Iraq Freedom. Kurtz quotes a Harvard communications prof:

"I find it like salted nuts -- very tasty and almost empty of high-quality nourishment," said Alex Jones, director of Harvard's Shorenstein press center. "We're seeing dramatic pictures of racing across the desert, but I don't think that tells me anything that is really important about what's going on.

From the Pentagon's point of view, "it's been one magnificent recruitment video."

Nonetheless, I'm glad we have this type of coverage. Better for us to see the war somewhat as the soldiers do than only as the generals or - worse yet - the politicians do. It's a very educational experience for a generation unfamiliar with war. And yes, it's a great photo-op for the modern army.