5.08.2005

Confession of Sin

This was part of my church's worship service this morning, and I thought it was worthwhile. It comes from a book of puritan prayers.
O God of grace,
You have imputed his righteousness to my soul
clothing me with a bridegroom's robe,
decking me with jewels of holiness.

But I am still robed with rages;
my best prayers are stained with sin.
I need to repent of my repentance;
I need my tears to be washed.

I have no robe to bring to cover my sins;
no loom to weave my own righteousness.
I am always standing clothed in filthy garments,
and by grace am always receiving new robes,
for You always justify the ungodly.

I am always going into the far country,
and always returning home as a prodigal,
always saying, Father, forgive me,
and you always bring me the best robe.

Grant me never to lose sight of
the exceeding sinfulness of sin,
the exceeding righteousness of salvation,
the exceeding glory of Christ,
the exceeding beauty of holiness,
the exceeding wonder of grace.

Amen.
In other Christ Church news, our search committee identified a candidate: Rusty Whitener (sp?), a pastor from southwestern Virginia whose last church grew from 12 to 88 members under his tutelage. We will meet him in two weeks, and vote on whether to invite him in four.