10.11.2005

Testing...1...2...3...4

Tomorrow is the first of our midterms, which will follow each other weekly until after Halloween. Microeconomics, courtesy of the inimitable (and quite well-known) Larry, is on tap for tomorrow, and I've already put in more hours of study than I put in during any one semester at Northeastern, and possibly more than I did during my entire tenure there. (Pure studying, that is, not homework or reading). The test covers just five weeks of material, and consists of three multi-part questions, on abstract choice theory, consumer theory, and choice under risk, respectively. If you think the one-liner "There exists no separating hyperplane between us and the set of God's love" is hysterical, then your mind is working the same way mine is. I've already put in six and a half hours of studying since class today, and I hope to add three more before I quit, though that would still sum to an hour and a half less than my daily study-maximizing argument. Then it's a good connected night's sleep (if my body can remember how to have one of those) and two classes before the Big Date with Larry at 1:00. I think today has to qualify as my lowest-net-utility birthday ever: not only am I spending the day studying unboundedly, but I'm also losing my driver's license to expiration. I could get a new one here in Rochester, but I'd feel like a traitor having a New York I.D. Of course, it's not like I have anything to drive, but I'm losing a degree of freedom nonetheless.