4.18.2002

My Own World

I found this wide path along the highway a mile from my house... between I-93 and Gulliver's Creek, down where the Granite Railway was. I walked and ran along it Sunday night. It seems now like that's in a different world. I ride my bike a quarter mile away, on the other side of the highway every day, but I can make no connection between the two sides of the highway. It was a world all of my own, nobody else that I know knows about it, and there was no evidence that anyone had been there except the highway maintainance people, who cut down the rushes each year. It was my world, and I ran there, and I was a little boy again. My world has two entrances, one at each end. But unlike most other places, when you're in it you lose a you can't see them, and when you drive there you can't see into my world; I know because I've driven there at least 1,000 times over 15 years. And in a little bit I'll be moving, just forty days after finding my own world.