4.09.2002

A New Low

Though I've been very involved in the news the last week, I haven't posted here. I guess it's kind of pathetic to try and stay abreast the "situation", as it's now generally referred to. I really respect Bush and Powell a lot more for putting America's foot down, and for having Powell make a visit to the Middle East; that says a lot. As for the "situation" itself, I do believe it has reached a new low, with open war raging in a number of Palestinian cities, while most Palestinians and Israeli citizens stay locked in their homes whenever possible. Very few analysts are talking about redeeming the peace process now; if I didn't know that time was moving forward, I'd say that we were further from a lasting peace than we were yesterday and the day before. Somehow it seems only to get worse... where will it go? Genocide? Mass chaos throughout the Mediterranean and Arab worlds? Suicide bombings in the U.S. and Europe? Anti-semitic and anti-Arab violence around the globe? A third wave of refugees? All of these seem more realistic than "a lasting peace", or "a two-state solution" at this point. Thanks for staying, Happy Hour is supported by you our readers and by the following sponsors.... whatever.