7.09.2002

Beirut Report VI

I'm feeling much better today, and it seems as though my case of the flu was about average; some guys are spending a whole day vomiting. I was pretty much laid up from noon yesterday until 7:40 this morning, when I resumed normal life, well rested if still a bit weak.

When walking through Beirut on Sunday, I came across the old division of East and West Beirut. At the present, it's identifiable by a vacant lot running north-south between two large (and probably new) streets. Many of the older buildings on each side are severely shot up, with artillery shell-holes accompanying the now-familiar marks of small-arms fire. New buildings have been built in and around the vacant area since the war, especially at the north end, near downtown. However, many of the apartment buildings along it are still uninhabitable and it's not too hard too imagine a war going on along that line.

I haven't done much research at all on the Lebanese civil war; mostly I'm familiar with Israel's involvement, and some stuff I've read, heard or seen since my arrival. My colleagues, however, recommend "From Beirut to Jerusalem", by Thomas Friedman, and the movie "West Beirut" as a good introduction to the subject. I think Friedman's book is banned here; otherwise I'd try to find it. I really lack anything to read, and I might visit a local bookstore soon, though the selection wouldn't be great.

I have colloquial Lebanese class in an hour; it's a 1-credit course that I may drop if it doesn't improve. Right now it's not teaching me much, and it's confusing to learn both colloquial and modern standard at the same time.