8.05.2002

Beirut Report XIII

Perhaps it's a bit presumptuous of me to write about plans for the future here, especially given the way the Middle East is in regards to anything in the future. However, since I'll probably be almost completely out of contact for ten days before I arrive at home, I might as well tell you all my hopes, if plans is too strong a word.

Thursday is our final exam, and Friday our ending ceremonies/party. I'll wrap up my life here and get myself organized, and enjoy being a free man for the first time since June 30th. Saturday is Charlie Brown's birthday, and a group of us may go to Tripoli to see the castle, the city, to wish Charlie well, and to celebrate the end of the program. Unless plans fall through, I should be going to the south of Lebanon with my family on Sunday; one of my uncles is married to a woman from the South, so we'd have a family day trip to the still-rural and semi-stable south.

After that, I'm off to Syria for five days, ensha'allah. I'm hoping to find travel partners for at least part of the time. I looked through Charlie's "Lonely Planet" guide to Syria last night, and the sights that I most want to see are Aleppo, ancient ghost towns near there, and Palmyra. On the "B" list are Dura Europus, Mari, and the Iraqi border (all very near each other), Hama, and Deir az-Zur. I'd like to see, but will probably have to save for another visit, Damascus and the world's #1 crusader castle, Krak de Chevaliers. If I go alone I have greater flexibility and mobility. However, I'd much rather be with at least another person, since staying in sketchy hotels, taking five-hour bus trips, fighting off wild dogs, and meeting locals are generally less fear and more fun when you know that at least you won't die alone.

I should be back in Lebanon by the 16th, and I ship out of here early on the 18th, to spend a grueling 12+ hours in airplanes before getting home.