12.30.2002

George III cuts loose

King George III went on record ripping his star shortstop, Derek Jeter, and his commissioner, Bud Selig. Of Jetes he said, "I tell him this all the time. I say, 'Jetes, you can't be everything to everybody. You've got to focus on what's important.' ...When I read in the paper that he's out until 3 a.m. in New York City going to a birthday party, I won't lie. That doesn't sit well with me. That was in violation of Joe's curfew...I want to see Jetes truly focused. He wasn't totally focused last year. He had the highest number of errors he's had in some time..."

George minced just a few words coming after Bud: "I am a Bud Selig man. I consider him a good friend. ... But while I'm loyal to Bud Selig, the biggest beneficiary in this whole plan are the Milwaukee Brewers. That doesn't seem quite right. I don't know how he sleeps at night sometimes." Ouch.

Meanwhile, the Red Sox snagged lifelong Yankee Ramiro Mendoza.