5.03.2003

And you can quote me on this

Tim Wakefield will have at least 15 non-start appearances this season. The way the bullpen has been - consistently inconsistent - it's just screaming poor Timmy's name. I really want to see him stay a starter... but I also want the Sox to be able to win a game without beating up the other team's bullpen. Tonight, we looked like we had another come-from-behind, late inning win. But no; our pen outdid theirs in coughing up runs.

I don't know who or what the solution is. I just know that his first name is more likely to be "Tim" than "Ramiro". Three of the relievers who pitched tonight - including last year's star Alan Embree - have double-digit ERA's. Jason Shiell pitched an inning and two thirds and gave up two hits, allowed some inherited runners to score, but lowered his own ERA to 2.08. Him and Brandon Lyon are great, but unless they're amazing, I don't think we've found the solution to the bullpen problem. One thing Grady Little could do would be ask 8 innings of his good starters (especially Lowe and the rubber-armed Wakefield). That would allow the good relievers to pitch a greater percentage of the time. But since there haven't been any really good relievers besides the kids, that probably wouldn't do a whole lot, and could hurt the rotation.

I don't know what to do, so I'll do what all well-trained Red Sox fans do in this situation. PANIC AND JUMP OFF THE BANDWAGON!!!!!!!