7.15.2003

Free Beer

The Washington Post rarely begins a story with the line Two words: free beer.

But it got your attention, didn't it? That phrase also gets the attention of Washington interns, who flock to low-cost establishments. The story has some meaning to me, because the principle venue is the Tequila Grill, where I managed to spend $0 one night last April (2002) with a bunch of friends from the Model Arab League, including one who says that I'm quite a slow dancer (that's debatable; I stepped on her foot).

Northeastern has something of an edge on most schools when it comes to experience. I met an acquaintance today who gushed about how much he was saving GM as a consultant; he's halfway through school. While NU students drink hard, they also know what end of a stapler to use, and what 9-5 means. As my friend Dan points out, "Notice the part about not being able to party every night and having to be home by midnight? Only a sophomore on her first coop would say something like that around here."