9.12.2003

Libyan on A Jet Plane

There's so many times we've crashed and burned,
Seems like the colonel would finally learn
Our Russian jets don't make good submarines.
We fly out to protect our nation
And use seat bottoms for floatation.
The water's warm, and we're good swimmers too.

So kiss me and smile for me,
Call my folks in Tripoli,
Tell them that Qaddafi made me go.
I'm a Libyan on a jet plane,
I don't know if I'll be back again.
Muammar, I hate to go.

The United Nations Security Council voted 13-0, U.S. and France abstaining, to repeal sanctions against the Libyan Arab Jumahuriya, 15 years after the Lockerbie bombing. Nobody's really sure if Colonel Muammar Qaddafi is actually trying to move his country towards a more normal position in world affairs. Libya is still under U.S. oil-related sanctions that may or may not be lifted; I think it wouldn't be a bad idea, personally, since oil prices are high and we need all the Arab sentiment we can get. Besides, if we don't lift them, we'll lose out to Europeans on getting Libyan oil contracts.