10.05.2003

The Nation Rejoices!

Red Sox fans stayed up to wait on the Lord's saving hand, which intervened at 11:25pm and sent the Nation into delirium. What's more, everyone from Trot Nixon to the Boston Dirt Dogs to Bill Mueller is praying to and praising the One.
You have enlarged the Nation And increased their joy; They rejoice before you! - Isaiah 9:3

"What the Lord's path is, we don't know. We go on faith just by showing up every day." - Bill Mueller

Now with these fans
I pray Lord
With these fans
I pray for the strength Lord
With these fans
I pray for the faith Lord
With these fans
We pray for your love Lord
With these fans
Pray for the lost, Lord
With these fans
Pray for this Nation Lord
With these fans
I pray for the strength Lord
With these fans
- Boston Dirt Dogs

A majority of the Sox are regulars each Sunday at Baseball Chapel, and they hope to prolong the season long enough to convene at least one more prayer session tomorrow... "It's something you don't always see. There is a lot of affection, to be honest with you." [- (Jewish) Gabe Kapler] Nixon helped to shape the team's spirit by distributing copies of a bestseller, "The Purpose Driven Life," about spiritual exploration... Mirabelli, like many of his teammates, believes in prayer. "He answers prayers," the catcher said. "And I guarantee you there are millions of people out there who have been praying for the Red Sox to win the World Series, no doubt about it." - Bob Hohler, Boston Globe

Before I came to the plate I prayed to the Lord to calm my emotions... thanks to my Lord Jesus Christ... My Lord sent me an extra gust of wind! - Trot Nixon (who praised Jesus incessantly in his endless postgame interviews)


Hey, the Holy Spirit's come as a wind before, right?!

Not so spiritual, but reflecting the team's camaraderie, there's a "Top Step Chatter Crew" - the utility players, who cheer during the games. Some of those guys and others led the crowd in heckling Lilly: by taping his name to their backs and standing nonchalantly on the Top Step. The Maginot Line, I mean bullpen, even has it's own T-shirts: camo, reading "He who is wrapped up in himself is overdressed". And we have a mascot - teenage wannabe rock-star Kevin Millar, singing "Born in the U.S.A." Nixon got a haircut mid-game, in a show of unity with his similarly shorn teammates, and they buzzed Grady after the game.

Oh, and I'll be wearing my ten-gallon hat tomorrow, because it's time to COWBOY UP!