10.20.2004

Extreme Commuting

As I fell hard and slid wetly down the muddy embankment on my way home from work, it occurred to me that commuting is underrated. Maybe I'm the only one who has extraordinary experiences on ordinary, daily trips, but I suspect that if you really thought about, you could come up with a wealth of mishaps (and happy haps) in everyone's workaday commuting.

Here's a few commuting experiences I came up with; add your own in the comments:

  • Sliding down an embankment
  • Surviving a near-drowning
  • Completing a triathlon
  • Being told to exit a train because the weight of the people had broken it
  • Waking up unconscious lying spreadeagled on the sidewalk
  • Failing to save a woman from getting run over by a bus
  • Reporting a domestic violence incident to the police
  • Walking two hours
  • Getting to work on time

What about you?