3.04.2005

Boston University

The news isn't as good from BU, so I'm glad I heard from Rochester first.
I am writing to inform you that the Boston University Economics Department has recommended to the Dean of the Graduate School that you be admitted to our Ph.D. program for the fall of 2005. While we are very impressed with your academic record, the Financial Aid Committee has had many requests for a very limited amount of aid and, as a result, we are unable to offer you financial aid. I am pleased that your application has met with the approval of our Admissions committee and hope that you will be able to pursue graduate study in this Department.

You will be receiving some additional communications from our department and a formal notification of admission from the graduate school in the days ahead. During this process, please do not hesitate to contact me if there are any questions regarding our program. I will be out of the office until March 21, but I will be happy to answer your questions at that time. Also, please plan to respond to our offer by May 15. I look forward to hearing from you.
Zero funding makes attendance almost equally unlikely. However, it's still an improvement on last year's flat refusal by the same school.