6.06.2005

New Digs

Sorry for the dearth of content here in the last week-and-a-half. Moving really took a toll on my time and energy, and work has been somewhat busy.

My new "home" is a room in the house of a former roommate's co-worker, who is glad to have a bit of extra income, but doesn't need a long-term lease. I would have preferred, I think, living with other guys and with other renters, rather than a landlady, but it's not a bad situation. The other residents of the house are Honey, a mutt puppy, and Batna, an older house-cat. Honey is completely bonkers, and rather gainsays his moniker. Batna is uninteresting except that her name comes from the negotiation acronym for Best Alternative To a Negotiated Agreement. This, IMHO, is an amusing name for an animal.

The house is on a dead end in a quiet residential neighborhood and is across the street from a small park. Very nice for privacy then, but not necessarily quietness: the neighbor's dogs couldn't be meaner or louder if they were rabid. Honey wants to be friends with them; they want Honey to be lunch.

I cycled all the way to work for the first time since moving there. It's ten miles by the shortest route, but I went a few extra miles to use one of the bike paths that gets from Falls Church into D.C. On the way home, I'll try the other one. Unfortunately, I no longer have a working sped/odometer, so I can't objectively compare the routes for length. I may end up doing one way here and the other way home, because it's significantly sloped and on the afternoon commute I'll more appreciate a gradual slope.