11.08.2001


Lost Innocence I touched on this point below, but I'd like to expand it a little... I knew riding past Victory Rd on Adams St was going to stir me, and I knew I wouldn't be able to go by at the speeds I'm accustomed to. Anyway, I was going along at 15 or 16 mph, hoping that I would be spared the irony of another accident in the same place. All the ride I felt unjustifiably that my brakes weren't stopping me. It's weird. So anyway, a car's heading towards me in the opposite direction. And down Victory Road, where a car pulled out of last week without looking, comes this electric company truck, barreling right along. Anyway, again in the narrow confines of the street, I knew that if he blew that stop sign I was as good as dead. My heart did some award-winning gymnastics. He stopped. It would have been not even noted 15 days ago, but now, like America after September 11, I've lost my innocense. I don't have the same bravado, or cavalier attitude. It's like riding through a hospital now; you can't have that trash-talking, in-your-face athlete attitude when somebody's yelling "Get this man a pizza, STAT!", or whatever they yell in hospitals... Ok so I'm melodramatic. Shove it.