12.26.2001

Merry Christmas

And a Happy New Year. We had a pleasant Christmas Day, just the immediate family, which now of course includes Nut, a Thai exchange student. I really don't care much about presents anymore - really I don't feel the need for toys and stuff - but I do enjoy receiving them, and giving IF I actually gave something they liked. Which does happen on occassion. I received some CD's (Supertones, Brave Saint Saturn, Third Day), a CD-case, odds and ends, some bike gear, Tolkien's "Lord of The Rings" Part I. That was a request, and from my little sister. I'm going to take Nut to see it with a few other friends of his this afternoon, as his birthday celebration. We also got a big huge punching bag... but I really don't see why. My litte brother's usually around these days...

Yesterday night we jumped into action getting the backyard skating rink set up. It's roughly rectangular, 30x50 feet, and takes up a third of our yard. It was fun last year, and this year it's going to be more so since (a) We know what we're doing, (b) We bought a lining from a skating supply place online (last year we had to overlap 2 sheets: that was a fiasco. We lost so much water that we created a regional aquifer, and had to stand hours in the cold spraying, since we couldn't just pump it full), (c) I bought ice skates finally. Yeah, it's weird to spontaneously decide (last year) to build a rink when you have no skates, but I did. Anyway, all is going very well - the intact, single lining is down, is filled to the brim with chilly water, and should begin to freeze over tonight.

Peace on Earth, and Goodwill toward men! God has sent His Son to redeem the world and save us from our own sins! Rejoice!