2.21.2002

Milosevic & Swift

Wow. The Western justice system is truly amazing. Nowhere else in the world would a man so widely hated as Slobodan Milosevic be allowed to personally cross-examen a witness against him, a witness who saw his family massacred by soldiers serving under Slobo's government. I am proud to be part of a system so rooted in the supremacy of law that it refuses to deal summarily with even this persona non grata.

Of course, being a Bostonian I'm aware that Tooky Amirault, who's been jailed for child molestation for 16 years since a controversial 80's trial, was denied a sentance commutation by Jane Swift, the Worst Governor In the History of Massachusetts. I don't know enough about this case to form an intelligent opinion; I was a child myself when the dirty deeds allegedly occurred. However, I do know Jane Swift's politics, and I would estimate that she alone has managed to put the cause of women in Massachusetts politics back a good 20 years. The Republican party is reaping the whirlwind it sowed back when Celucci picked a running mate for gender and residence (Western Mass) instead of for substance. Well, barring a reverse miracle, we'll have a new governor next year, and I'm 99.9% sure it won't be a "she".