4.12.2002

Again

There's been another suicide bombing in Jerusalem. Six died on the scene, as well as 7 serious, 4 moderate, and 53 light injuries, according to Haaretz. I'm not the first to notice, I'm sure, but I haven't heard anyone point out the increased effectiveness of suicide bombers in recent months. Apparently, someone is supplying better explosives or at least better (or more) ingredients to the Martyr's Brigade, with horrific results. This of course speaks of a real terror infrastructure, and I don't doubt that this is pretty much common knowledge in Israel. Of course, I disagree with Sharon's way of dealing with it, but I admit that I don't have a really good alternative. I guess if I had to make the decisions I'd probably withdraw from all but the most crucial defense positions and almost seal the border. It wouldn't be pretty, but if enough money made it into the Territories to allow an economic development then it might be a way out.

Oh, and I forgot to mention, the perpetrator of this crime was a young woman. In and of itself, that's not extremely relevant, but the increasing number of femmes fatales will have bad consequences for the rest of Palestinian women, who until a few months ago were a fairly nonviolent demographic. So more Palestinian women will be searched, a very humiliating and infuriating thing for those in particular who don't like to show any more than their hands and face. And the increased humiliation and infuriation can only lead to more violence... sensing a theme here?