5.03.2002

Constants

There are a number of constants in Massachusetts politics (well, actually, nothing changes here at all). Here are a few of them:
The Big Dig. And cost overrides.
Tom Finneran. The man was elected "Speaker-for-Life" in the House; in his acceptance speech he said "this is not about me."
Anybody Kennedy. They may get hit by lightning on a regular basis, but they never take the hint and retire.
Carla Howell. She's the opposition, the One-Girl Army out to change the Commonwealth. She's a political Don Quixote; she's never won an election, but she's never missed one either. Now she's running for Governor, and while I love her politics ("Small Government is Beautiful"), I fear that she may siphon crucial votes away from the first serious Republican candidate in four years, Mitt Romney. I don't know a lot about him, except that he's conservative, rich, and a lot less political than most Mass-holes. I also think it's crucial to keep Democrats out of the Governor's office, since that would give us a completely one-party government and allow the Dems to do anything they wanted. As the system has been the last 10 years, both sides have to resort to referenda for major decisions, and you all know how much I love direct democracy!

Anyway, when I started that post it was with the intention of encouraging you all to attend Carla's talk at Northeastern in the "Meet the Candidates" series hosted by the Political Science department. I think it's Monday at 11:45 in the Raytheon Room (I refuse to call that broom closet an "amphitheatre"), and I'm disappointed that I can't make it due to a class activity (we're eating at an Arabic restaurant in Downtown Crossing to learn to order food in Arabic).