5.01.2002

Stupid Is As Stupid Does

OK, this goes on the all-time most embarressing moments list: I locked myself out of my running car. Yes, you read right, my running car. Yeah. I've heard it all. Don't ask me how, I don't rightly know. What's truly amazing is that they allow someone so forgetful as to lock himself out of his running car to then turn around and drive home. I mean, with that kind of mental capacity, wouldn't you expect this mentally feable driver to forget to brake when the person in front of him does (oh wait, I did that in real life), or drive into a telephone pole because he forgot how to use the steering wheel? Taking your keys with you is a pretty basic skill. Driving? Heck, that's so complicated and dangerous that you have to get a license for it! I can't do the first, and society expects that I can ably do the second, much more difficult, task? Yikes, we live in a ridiculous culture.

So anyway, I had gone to pick my sister up in Randolph after her "Music Man" rehearsal (come see the show! May 3-4-5 at Randolph High). As soon as I left the car I realized my error, checked all the doors, and then asked a nearby cop for help. She radioed in support, who arrived ten minutes later and fiddled around with a SlimJim for a few minutes before admitting that "we don't really know how to use these. They just hand 'em to us and tell us to do our best; we're not trained." Fortunately a friend of ours, Joe Hess, worked as a mechanic, and nimbly opened the car with a screwdriver and antenna; it was a lot easier because it was running, he just had to lightly push the power window control and that opened it up, praise God. We were really, really grateful, so thanks to Joe for this one!