5.25.2002

"I Believe"

"I believe in God. I don't believe in curses.'' - Pedro Martinez, answering questions on the Curse of the Bambino.

However, if he wanted to, he'd have good reason to believe in the Curse: after beating the Yankees in The House That Ruth Built last May 29th, he dissed the Babe, saying if they brought him out of the grave that he would drill the Yankee slugger in the posterior. Needless to say, the Babe didn't like that, and Pedro fell apart for the rest of the year, not earning another win until this April. This year Petey has tread much more softly: ''I'm sure Babe Ruth was one of the greatest men in the community. I don't think he would curse anybody. I don't get into all that. Maybe the Bambino was looking out for me today... you believe that?''

Now, for a guy who protests that he doesn't believe in curses, this episode should be telling:
It was pointed out that he already had matched his season victory total from last year with more than four months left. The mere mention of this milestone caused him to grab his head, moan, ''Don't say that; oh, my God,'' and knock on a wooden wall.