8.07.2002

Beirut Report XIV

Classes are done!!! Our class today threw a little party, and invited the High Intermediate class from next door (which they did for us post-midterm). I love free lunches... Anyway, it's been quite a 6 weeks... or 22 days of class, however you want to look at it.

The Sunday trip to South Lebanon is off, but we're probably on for Tripoli or something on Saturday. I may be going to Syria alone, but I'm ok with that. The final exam is tomorrow, and the only part that I think needs real preperation is a five-minute oral interview for which we have been given the opening questions.

Last night I took a long walk down south of here, across Ras Beirut, along the crowded Corniche through Raouche overlooking the illuminated Pigeon Rocks, along the water's edge where there's a very dirty public beach with very nice sand, and through a beachfront market/carnival in the mostly Shia UNESCO neighborhood. Then I swung back through the chic Verdun shopping plazas and across a quiet neighborhood, through bustling Hamra, and back to the University.

Today it's off to the beach for studying, swimming and sun, and I'm going to take my photos in to be developed - it's cheaper and quicker here than stateside!