12.31.2002

Mourning in Yemen

It's old news by this time, but I don't want my readers to be ignorant of the murders of three American humanitarian missionaries working at a hospital in Yemen. May their blood cry loudly for God to have mercy on the people of Yemen.

Their attacker, a fanatical Islamist student, was caught. Though I have sincere respect for devout Muslims, I believe that Islam is fundamentally a flawed religion: the deeper you go, the less it is about compassion. This is partially true of Christianity, for Christians never believe that compassion is an end - because salvation is so much more important. However, never in dogmatic Christianity will murder be justified. Christian extremists may do crazy things like withdrawing from society, going for voluntary poverty or going off to Yemen to be a missionary, but when's the last time you read about a Christian acting violently with the blessing of his denomination? Sometime in the 1600's, I think.