4.08.2003

Model Arab League

Though it doesn't necessarily blog well, this year's National University Model Arab League was a seminal event in my year and a high point as well. I built closer ties with the United Nations Association of Northeastern, whose out-of-date website is now my problem. I'll hopefully be heavily involved in delegate preparation for our six or seven models next year. Since I came to NU, we've begun hosting two models, begun attending another, and are exploring attending still another. It's an auspicious time to be involved.

I also met too many fun-loving, bright (and mildly geeky) people from all over the country.

There was a lot of stress and tension at the model, but very little of it affected me. I ruled my committee sternly enough that those attacks that did come my way were firmly rebuffed. I made my share of mistakes as well, two having notable consequences. These never amounted to much, though, for I had an extremely qualified vice-chair and rapporteur (their only weakness was for each other) at my right hand, and the committee continued to respect me with only a few unsavory exceptions. All in all, the model was a personal victory, and a terrific one for NU, who will attend next year holding 6 of 12 appointed positions, ceterus paribus.

Some modeling lingo for your entertainment...
Caucus. This means informal debate. And yes, a motion to extend the caucus is in order.
Cookie. A delegate who uses her (or his, I guess) good looks and bad taste to win votes. One of NU's delegates admitted using this method one morning, and said she never felt more objectified and degraded. She won an Outstanding Delegate award.
Point of Personal Privilege. This point can be used at any time if circumstances or noise is impeding your participation in committee. We use this, as well as ruling people "out of order" frequently in and out of committee.
The rest are just way too inside-jokey to even be remotely funny to all you flatfooted real-worlders.