5.22.2003

Work

I am guilty of having semi-jokingly defined work as "what you don't want to do." One dictionary definition is Physical or mental effort or activity directed toward the production or accomplishment of something. Kevin says work is "Using your physical or mental abilities to accomplish something." Chris says work is "getting paid to do something you don't want to do." Dave C says "work is something I do between the hours of 8 and 5". Mark says work is "stuff you have to do but don't want to". Steve says "work is putting your hands - or brain - towards a productive goal; something that needs to be accomplished." Danielle says that it's "a task completed to accomplish some sort of outcome." John says work is "a fairly ambiguous term".

God says work is something higher. Work is what humans, especially men, were created for. God culminated His creative work with us - His workmanship, and we are to mirror our Creator in good works (Ephesians 2:10), though those good works will not save us.

Work is how we fulfill our potential. Most importantly, work gives glory to God, and that's the number one priority of humanity. We glorify God by continuing the work He began at Creation - the work of bringing order to chaos - and by continuing the work He began at the cross - reconciling mankind to Himself. We can only accomplish the latter, and more important, through His power, exerted by the indwelling Holy Spirit.

The denigration of work is a cultural malady. Recreation and relaxation is, in my opinion, one of the idols that our society worships, under the general rubric of self-service - doing what makes Me feel best. It should not be a surprise to us Christians that we as humans fail to identify what is best for us, and in our limited wisdom choose a less fulfilling path than when we are divinely guided. I'm not saying that work should replace relaxation as an idol, which it undoubtedly has for some people. But work - and play - should be considered as good and joyful means of worshipping the One who is actually worthy of our time and perspiration.

God reminded me of all this today while I was not working, something I've gotten awfully good at lately. With my new location near school, I've been a little like a kid in a candy store with the school social life. I'm out late, I've made a lot of friends, and I'm really enjoying life. On the other hand, my work has suffered. Not much, but a little, and mostly in the last week or two.

But this is much more than just another example of God correcting my poor time-management skills; that happens often enough. This is about self-identification in the long run. God caused me to remember what it is He's called me to do - my specific work. That is, to be a missionary in the Middle East, in some shape and form. While work is not to be our primary identity - discipleship to Christ is - work should be in the place too often held by socialization in terms of how we identify ourselves vis-a-vis the world.

I believe our primary identity comes from and relates to God. First and foremost, we are sinners saved by grace before a holy God. Second, we are members of our family and the church, and the Bible gives ample instruction on our roles there. Lastly, we are members of the human race and the world at large, in relation to which I think we should define ourselves in terms of the God-glorifying work that we are called to. We should not let our position on earth be governed by our socialization, as much fun as social life is. God created us for good works that men might glorify Him - let us not shy away from our purpose in life!