2.27.2004

The Passion of the Christ

I have no words to describe what I saw. My emotional soundboard couldn't register feelings at that frequency. I've never seen - let alone experienced - pain of the sort that was depicted second after grueling second. The sound of metal shards sinking into flesh, the splattering blood, the barbaric guards. The moments that touched me most deeply were those I could understand. I first broke down into tears - which was an immense release - when Jesus fell on the Via Dolorosa and his mother flashed back to him falling down as a 4-year-old. Somehow, I can't understand how, the crucifixion was worse than the beating. So many times, you think, "Can it go on?", and it does. I can't even explain how I feel now - a mix of relief, gratefulness, survivor's guilt, sorrow and pain, or something like that.

If you haven't seen the movie, see it. You will not enjoy it - that I can guarantee - but it's still the most worthwhile film ever made.