6.06.2004

Ho-hum

It's a really quiet Sunday in D.C. Thank God for my family here...I'd be pretty lonely otherwise. I've always lived with kids, and I can't very well imagine living in a kid-less world. Whatever church I go to here, it's got to have families - that's a requirement.

Speaking of churches, I tried out Capitol Hill Baptist today, but was not unduly impressed. Fortunately, I now have a bachelor's degree; I don't think I could have understood the sermon without one! An M.Div. would have helped too, but I got by with my B.S. Senior pastor Mark Dever, a great speaker, was out of town (and will be for a while), and the replacement was fresh off the bus from seminary, or at least preached like he was. The practical applications I came away with included:
- Deaf people are barely human.
- If you realize that you're not "fertile soil" for the gospel, you might not be chosen by God to be saved.
- Thin soil on top of a limestone bedrock has a sort of "greenhouse effect", resulting in faster growth for plants in their initial stages.

Next week I'll be checking out Christ Church of Arlington, a Presbyterian church right near the house I'm planning to move into in Clarendon, Arlington, Virginia. Hopefully I'll hit it off there - having a neighborhood church I can love would be a real answer to prayer.