11.21.2001

Dear Ambassador Aldouri, (I wrote the following email yesterday to the Iraqi embassy to the United Nations. I have yet to get a reply, but if I do I will certainly post it here) My name is Salim Furth, and I am an Arab-American student at Northeastern University. For an important paper, I am required to research an issue in my area of study (International Affairs and Economics), analyze it, and recommend changes or solutions. My chosen area is a case study of the sanctions regime against Iraq, leading to recommendations that sanctions not be used as a foreign policy tool in the future, especially in the current conflict. I have attached the conclusion of my draft report for your perusal if you desire (feel free to disregard it; I understand the risks of opening attachments from strangers). I'm bringing this to your attention because for two reasons. First, I have found a lack of information on a few points. Second, all of my material is from a Western point of view, and an alternative viewpoint can only strengthen my conclusions. Could you, or a member of your staff, answer me the following questions that have arisen in my research? I'd appreciate it greatly! 1) When will the sanctions expire? Is there a set time limit, or is it indefinitely until Iraq complies with impossible requirements set by the UN Security Council? 2) Which other instance of sanctions is the most similar to Iraq's in context and content? 3) What does the Iraqi administration think about U.S. Deputy Secretary of Defense Paul Wolfowitz? What is the best source for scholarly research of the rumor that Wolfowitz advocated using the World Trade Center attacks as an excuse to invade Iraq ? 4) What is the likelihood that the United States will indeed invade Iraq? 5) Would Iraq welcome Osama Bin Laden if he sought asylum in Iraq? Thank you very much for your time and your kind consideration. May Allah bless you with the knowledge of Himself; to know Allah is indeed the best of the best. Salaam aleikum, Salim Furth