8.24.2002

Fifteen Seconds of Fame

My siblings and I got our names mentioned on the radio yesterday, by our top radio voices, Joe Castiglione and Jerry Trupiano. Here's how it happened...

My mom decided to take us on a tour of Fenway Park Friday morning, as we were going to the game with my uncle David later that day. One of the first stops on the tour was Fenway's spacious press section. One of the booths, it was pointed out to us, was for Joe & Jerry's radio broadcast. I don't recall who's idea it was, but we worked together to tape a note to their door, saying "Dear Joe and Jerry, we love listening to your broadcasts! Keep up the good work, Salim, Kez, Polly, and Barney Furth.

That night at the game we were all spread out; Polly and Barnabas with my cousin and uncle in his company's box seats ten rows behind home plate; Kez and I in section 19, up above the Sox dugout, and my parents above the visiting dugout in seats they'd been given for free by someone at the tour that morning! My mom likes to listen to the game on her walkman while she's there; otherwise she doesn't follow all the action. In the first inning, Joe was doing the color, and said they'd received a nice note from some fans that day. He paused to report a pitch, and then said that the note had said how much we loved the games and "I think it's signed 'Salim, Kez, Polly, and Barney Furth'". Mom came running down to tell the littles, who told us, and D & Ali Baba told me today they heard it as well.... definitely a good Red Sox memory, and considering most of you didn't hear it I felt that I ought to brag about it to be sure you all know.