5.07.2004

Man of the Hour, Person of the Year

The Garrett Logan Awards for 2003 were announced recently (Logan, as in Logan Airport). I had no idea these even existed (but then, I didn't know the Morris Horowitz Award or Sears Condit Award existed, and I won those), but I was pleasantly shocked when Mr. Logan himself (!!!) contacted me and informed me that I had been selected from among a competitive pool of nominees to receive not only an award, but the highest honor, the Garrett Logan Person of the Year Award!!

Tonight I received the first half of my prize - dinner with Mr. Logan at an upscale location in downtown Boston. We had an excellent meal, and talked economics and sabermetrics for a couple of hours over nice food and drinks. The second half of the award - an honorary degree from the Logan Institute of Elevator Logic - is yet to be printed out on Garrett's laserjet. The announcement is quite complimentary:

Now, for the moment you've all been waiting for. The GL person of the year award! The nominees are...

Luke, Jon, Brittany, the 2003 Boston Red Sox, Mary, Salim, and John Kerry. Except for John Kerry, who is on the ballot due to a bit of a technicality, everyone had a positive impact on my life. I want to thank all the friends in there for being my friends, and wish the best of luck to the Red Sox, who will win it all this year, (already a half-game above the Yankees!!!).

But, one person stands out more than anybody else. And that one person is.........

Salim Furth. Now, this is by far the most controversial GL award yet, as it has been awarded to Sailm for two reasons, both of which occured not in 2003, but in 2004. But, the voters have spoken, and Salim won. Anyway, he won for two major reasons. First, pity. Yes, I am truly sorry for all those rejections, so here's something that might cheer you up. Secondly, your mustache. You have this ability to have quite daring looks, without crossing the line (like, say, Seth Burton does). Anyway, congratulations on your win. And here's encouraging you to try out for the World Beard and Moustache Competition to be held in London in 2005.

I'm quite tickled, and I want to thank Garrett for being quite thoughtful. I'm curious to know who the electors were; it must have been stacked with the quadrant of Garrett's friends who actually know who I am :-). As a return favor, I'm giving him the notable prestige (insert snicker here) of a link to his blog in the Journals section of InstantReplay. Cheers!