12.07.2001

Day of Infamy

It's odd. Since the 11th of September, many things have seemed tasteless that were OK a few months ago. But I feel almost disloyal in thinking about the Pearl Harbor attacks of 60 years ago. That's so weird... I dunno maybe I'm weird. But it's like "Our generation's tragedy is worse than your generation's! So there!" But any thought of how terrible Pearl Harbor was prompts a response of "Oh yeah? 9-11 was even worse!" And, yeah, that's all going on between my two big ears. I assume that's not a normal reaction. I'd hate to think that's a normal American reaction. But it is symptomatic of the fact that we're living through history. With the enormity of the events of the last few months, we're just a little less self- and now-centered and a little more aware of the rest of the world and the rest of Time, past and future. It's like finding out you're on Candid Camera....