12.06.2001

Conversationally Speaking

The good part of instant messenger conversations is you can always save them. And this conversation was particularly interesting and enjoyable on both sides, so I got my friend (a fifteen year old girl who was one of my 4 wives in Joseph).
UmBoPuS8486: but i dont think ill be drinking or anything
s2chops: it's not advisable
UmBoPuS8486: i dont like it much
s2chops: i mean, basically you get all giddy, then stupid, then sick
UmBoPuS8486: bad experiences
s2chops: i like beer, but I've never been drunk
UmBoPuS8486: I got alchohol poisoning
UmBoPuS8486: because I was stupid. my first time trying it. and my last

s2chops: oh man
s2chops: so many kids do that
UmBoPuS8486: Im willing to try anything once. Everything ive tried I will never try again
UmBoPuS8486: ive tried alot of stupid stuff, too

s2chops: maybe don't try everything once then... like heroin and addictive stuff... or sex.... or almost-sex....
UmBoPuS8486: Ive tried smoking, weed, drinking...
s2chops: i've never had a cigarette - I hate that smell. And I've never smoked pot, even though I've lived in Holland where its legal
UmBoPuS8486: I cried when I tried weed
s2chops: really?
UmBoPuS8486: I didnt know what I was doing
s2chops: naturally
s2chops: how old were u when u did all this?
UmBoPuS8486: I couldnt feel my legs, and I felt like I was 6 different people/ And I couldnt lift my legs. Every little thing was funny.
UmBoPuS8486: recently...around when my parents divorced

s2chops: ic
s2chops: weird... interesting description
UmBoPuS8486: so in that case its kind of obvious why i did it
s2chops: yeah
s2chops: with Taryn etc?
UmBoPuS8486: taryn and bryan
s2chops: bryan looked like a pot smoker...
UmBoPuS8486: he is..
s2chops: that's too bad
s2chops: you all are so young too... yikes
UmBoPuS8486: yeah. Everyone in my school does. I never believed in peer pressure until I started High School
s2chops: it exists
UmBoPuS8486: I know
s2chops: i never had many friends till recently, so i never had a problem. But all the people i know do
UmBoPuS8486: luckily I didnt become addicted or anything
s2chops: Here's the thing, you need something stronger than peer pressure, etc. If that something is yourself, then you break down when you're weak and need help the most. And you end up doing things you wouldn't otherwise
UmBoPuS8486: yeah
s2chops: For me, I have a relationship with God that keeps me on track even when I personally am very weak. It makes all the diffirence when things are real bad
s2chops: if I was just trying to make it on my own I know I'd screw up, and end up unhappy. I didn't know what I wanted to do with my life. God really led me to what I'm studying now, and I really enjoy it.
UmBoPuS8486: At that time, when I tried it all, I thought that God didnt even exist, i felt so depressed. I thought that nothing could be worse.
UmBoPuS8486: So I started throwing everything away. But then I started getting back to church. (I hadent been in a whild because my mom was working Sonday mornings)
UmBoPuS8486: Ive stayed out of trouble

s2chops: That's why having a relationship with Him is so important. If you just know about Him from what other people say or from books or whatever then you doubt Him just when you need Him most. But having a relationship with God means you know Him yourself, and even though sometimes I don't understand why He lets crap happen, I know He loves me and wants to help me through.
s2chops: cool
s2chops: that's awesome
UmBoPuS8486: Everything happens for a reason, its just a lesson
s2chops: yeah
s2chops: and bad things happen because people sin, not because God doesn't care.
UmBoPuS8486: yeah
s2chops: He cares, but He lets us have free will. And we abuse our privelege of free will and we do things like get divorces and run planes into buildings
s2chops: it's a sad world
UmBoPuS8486: got that right
s2chops: but that's why Jesus died in our place, even though He'd done nothing to deserve it, and we'd done everything to deserve it
UmBoPuS8486: oh
s2chops: see, we can't earn our way to heaven by doing good things.
UmBoPuS8486: Thats why im straightening out my track
s2chops: but you'll never be good enough to go to heaven by your own good deeds.
s2chops: it's impossible, which is kinda scary.
UmBoPuS8486: yeah
s2chops: but I know I do all kinds of bad things - mean to my sister, lustful towards girls, lying sometimes, thinking I'm better than other people
s2chops: so I can't come to a Perfect God with my imperfect, sinful life
UmBoPuS8486: im worse, you have a better chance than I do
s2chops: but Jesus was tortured and killed instead of me - and you - and he suffered instead of me, paying the punishment for my sins.
s2chops: you have the same chance I do.
s2chops: I have no chance at all to reach heaven on my own.
UmBoPuS8486: ya..
s2chops: But since Jesus paid the penalty, we're all on equal ground.
s2chops: if you ask God to forgive you, based on Jesus' payment, then He will!
UmBoPuS8486: I do all the time
UmBoPuS8486: The only friends I have who dont smoke, do weed, or drink are in the play. Maybe I should stick with all them, lol. I mean, Taryn is my best friend, but I dont wanna get pulled into everything she does.

s2chops: and also, the Bible says we should make Jesus the boss of our lives, and the Holy Spirit lives inside of us, comforting, helping, changing us
s2chops: yeah
s2chops: that's good
s2chops: see, most people in the USA call themselves Christians, right?
UmBoPuS8486: yeah
s2chops: but most people aren't really
s2chops: i mean, what is a Christian?
UmBoPuS8486: I know, and the ones that are arent open about it
s2chops: yeah
s2chops: and true Christianity is having your sins forgiven, not trying to follow a bunch of rules only
UmBoPuS8486: exactly
s2chops: God wants to have a relationship with us as His children, not as slaves or robots
s2chops: He wants to talk with us, and be close to us
UmBoPuS8486: yeah
s2chops: I always have a hard time being consistent with having quiet times, praying and reading the Bible, every day
s2chops: but that's the only way to get to know someone; to spend time with them
UmBoPuS8486: I havent really done much praying lately
UmBoPuS8486: :/

s2chops: i know what you mean
s2chops: i didn't do well at all this quarter
UmBoPuS8486: I do a small prayer at night but not as much as I feel that I should
s2chops: vacation I have more time, but I usually fill it all. I gotta make a daily time, like an appointment for half an hour or an hour
s2chops: reading the Bible's important as well... that's one way that God speaks to us. Cuz he does want a two-way conversation.
UmBoPuS8486: I read the bible alot, well used to anyway.
s2chops: also, if you listen when you're praying, just sit and listen, He will speak to you. Not out loud usually, but you can tell when He does
UmBoPuS8486: A friend of mine got suspended for reading a bible in school
s2chops: WHAT!?!?!
s2chops: she should sue... omg that's awful
UmBoPuS8486: Its illegal to teach religon in public schools
s2chops: exactly. And what the school is doing is teaching atheism!
UmBoPuS8486: I wanted to go to a school where they do, sut they're so expensive
s2chops: yeah


s2chops: say, can I post this conversation on my blog? say no if you aren't sure - i don't wanna be over the edge!
UmBoPuS8486: No, go right ahead, I dont mind
s2chops: ok... i think it's interesting
UmBoPuS8486: It kind of feels like a relief that I just had a conversation like that. I know it sounds odd..
s2chops: hey, i know what you mean.
UmBoPuS8486: allright, I dont feel completely weird now, lol
s2chops: being around people who are being antisocial and bad leaves a bad taste in your mouth, so to speak. It's nice to be normal after that.
UmBoPuS8486: yeah