2.26.2002

Ariel "The Peacemaker" Sharon?

Reports are that the Saudi royal family for the first time ever has proposed a solution to the Palestinian-Israeli conflict. It's a good old-fashioned land for peace deal with a serious Arab bias, but hey, talking is a start. I am gladdened to see that I am not alone holding this viewpoint. And I'm surprised to find Arik Sharon as one of my stranger bedfellows on this issue. I guess he's realizing (finally) that he can't sustain Israel this way, and he has to divest Palestine somehow, sometime, since the autonomy-model peace process failed so ignominiously.

At Camp David II, Bill Clinton was quoted as saying that the sides had to come to peace because the alternative was unthinkable. That statement alone gives Clinton some respect in my eyes; he was so right, and it's enough to make one weep to see how fruitlessly these two sides have fought for a year and a half now! May the Good Lord raise up leaders on both sides who have the balls to compromise.