2.24.2002

Moving

We are moving. Our house was listed like yesterday. We've spent a lot of time looking in Brookline, which is our exclusive destination. We'll probably end up paying more there for a condo then we get for our well-maintained, large Victorian here in Milton (which should sell for a half million). My mother and I stopped at three places today. The last was really nifty, but was also preliminarily quoted at $850,000. Ouch.

My parents got my hopes up early on that we could actually buy two places: they'd save enough money by buying a smaller place that they could buy another apartment, this one in much cheaper Boston, to be a "college guys' flat", where I'd live for almost-free and my friends would live cheaply. Dreamhouse? You betcha! But the way it's looking, they're going to have spend some $600,000 on the main condo and count on me moving out soon even without their help. If that's the case then I really get the short end of the stick - I'll be sharing a room with my 9-yr-old brother when I'm at home, and the size of the place will pretty much squeeze me out like a zit, and I'll be out in the wild pretty soon. Ah well, you can't live off your parents your whole life. But you can try.