4.24.2004

The End of History

I'm halfway through Francis Fukuyama's book "The End of History & The Last Man", and it's quite an interesting read. A good primer for anyone casually interested in political philosophy (like me), because he writes in a well-paced, accessible style, and cites a bevy of sources, defining his views in terms of those of Locke, Hobbes, Socrates, Kant, Marx and especially Hegel, whom he worships a bit. It's made me think an awful lot about the nature of human social organization and the underlying causes of modern forms of government. Really the book is just one long essay. He sets forth his hypothesis in the first few chapters, and then proceeds by a long logical road to arrive at that conclusion (presumably; I haven't gotten there yet). I shy away from writing substantive comments, because I really can't say much in response, and my meagre understanding of political philosophy is woefully insufficient to attack all but the most salient of his points. Anyway, for a book that is unpopular with the liberal establishment, it's pretty good.